Future USBF Events
United States Bridge Championships
The USBF holds tournaments to select United States International Teams. The Open USBC, which selects teams for Open World Championships, is held every year; the Open USBC held each even numbered year that is not divisible by four selects one team for the next year's Bermuda Bowl. The Women's USBC, which selects teams for Women's World Championships, is held in three out of four years; there is no Women's USBC in even numbered years that are not divisible by four. The Senior USBC, which selects teams for Senior World Championships, is held in three out of four years; there is no Senior USBC in even numbered years that are not divisible by four. The Mixed USBC, which selects teams for the Mixed World Championships, is heldin three out of four years. The Junior USBC, which selects teams for the World Junior Championships, is held in each odd numbered year, to select the teams for the following even numbered year.
2023 - TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
The Open, Mixed, Senior, and Women's USBCs will be held in 2023. The Open USBC will select one team for the 2023 Bermuda Bowl. The other 3 USBCs will select two teams for their respective events. The face to face stages of play will almost certainly be:
If needed, online Round Robins will reduce the Open field to 16 teams, the Mixed and Senior fields to 8 teams and the Women's field to 4 teams for face to face play. Those round Robins will be approximately 4 weeks before the face to face stages; the exact schedule will depend on conflicting events.
- Players may enter any USBC for which they are eligible.
- However, a player on a team that qualifies for the World Championship in any event may not play in a subsequent USBC for a conflicting World Championship event.
- A team that has qualified for the KO stage of an event is eligible to compete in the face-to-face stage so long as it meets these requirements:
a. If it played 4-handed in the qualifying stage, at least 3 of the players who played in the qualifying stage play in the KO; if it played 5 or 6 handed in the qualifying stage, at least 4 of the players who met the play requirement in the qualifying stage play in the KO; AND
b. For the Mixed USBC, at least 2 men and 2 women who met the play requirement in the qualifying stage play in the KO stage.
- If a team loses one or two players because the player(s) qualified for the World Championship in an earlier USBC or because the player(s) have died, and the team is eligible for face-to-face KO play, it may replace the lost player(s) with any player(s) it chooses, including player(s) who played in the qualifying stage on a team or teams that did not qualify.
- If a team loses one or two player(s) for any other reason, it may replace the player(s) only with USBF Board approval.
- Except for replacements as above, all players in the KO stage must have met the play requirements in the qualifying stage. No additional players may be added to a qualified team for the KO stages.